Thursday, February 17, 2011

some thoughts

Small mercies renewed each day, like the sky,
cool damp wind holding leftover sunshine.
Smells like old books and piles of newspaper,
a mug - "soleil" - sitting by the window,
you do not even know what will happen
tomorrow. Tea kettle whistles again.
The trees are mixing their leaves for a storm,
the grass is worshiping flat to the ground,
waiting for the rain like a well groomed dog.
"Pay attention to me. Pay attention."
No one is listening to rubber boots
in mud.

Blank verse is a challenge for me - I always want to fall into iambic tetrameter and do if I am not careful. It is a beautiful day - grey and in the 50s F with the heavy threat of rain and a warm/cool wet wind blowing heavily through the curtains. It was cool and windy last night and our dorm building was hot, so I slept until 2 am on a couch in my our floor lounge until my lofted bed had cooled off enough to climb up into. I wore shorts today with my black rainboots.

No comments:

Post a Comment