Monday, September 9, 2013

recipe update, cardamom biscuits

The other morning it was shaping up to be one of those days, when you need a yummy snack, some peace and quiet, and a break from all the anxiety. So I dredged up the cookbook my mom made me of family and favorite recipes (color-coded, with photographs, notes and illustrations) and whipped up some of my Tante Gretchen's delicious biscuits. I just made them with milk, instead of cream, and tried out powdered sugar to see what it would do. They were SO YUMMY with Bon Maman cherry preserves, a cup of milky coffee, and one of Katie Fforde's sweet little British novels (my light-summer-read-guilty-pleasure for years). 

I'm finishing this post and then making them again (just a half recipe or I will eat them all) to snack on while I watch an afternoon movie - it is too too hot and humid to do anything but sit in the cool.

Gretchen's Rich Cream Biscuits, with cardamom-sugar tops

2 C flour
2 tblspoons sugar (I used powdered last time - yummy)
1 stick butter
4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2/3 c milk or heavy whipping cream

Mix dry, then wet ingredients together, cutting the butter in before the cream until the mixture is pebbly. Knead for 10-15 seconds, roll out 3/4 inch thick dough. Cut into small circles (I use thin drinking glass) and bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.

Topping: two tablespoons coarse sugar, 1/2 tsp cardamom. Sprinkle generously on top before baking.


To see some of this summer's chalkboard art that I did working for Blackberry, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment