Friday, November 16, 2012

recipe update: thanksgiving

I know that there has been a lot of recipe updating in the past week or two, but here is another one! I went with Sylvi to pick up our CSA box yesterday and we found that since there is not delivery Thanksgiving day, we got an extra large box plus a GIANT and I mean truly GIANT squash. It is larger than a toddler. And the box itself contained cranberries, celeric, lettuce, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, sugar pumpkins and apples.

So baked a pre-Thanksgiving dinner for a few of the guys down the hall and my roommates last night. And randomly, I didn't even have to go to the grocery store! There were three of us vegetarians, so I did the whole thing vegetarian, and it was deliciouso. Our topic of conversation was an article by Anne Lamott on gratitude (you can read the whole thing here)

One of my best friends was a Catholic girl. Her boisterous family bowed its collective head and said, "Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts. …" I was so hungry for these words; it was like a cool breeze, a polite thank-you note to God, the silky magnetic energy of gratitude. I still love that line.

This is what I made:

cranberry sauce (3 cups of cranberry, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp lemon zest. bring to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes, chill)
stuffing (I used vegetable broth and a loaf of staling french bread that has been in my freezer)
mashed potatoes with grated parmesan
roasted sweet potatoes, onions and butternut squash 
steamed broccoli
gravy (i found a vegetarian recipe here. it was actually quite good and really easy).
streusel apple pie

I am still not sure what got into me yesterday afternoon, but I brought home all those veggies, made a crust and put the pie in the oven, and then just kept adding things to the menu (I realized last minute that gravy was crucial). Six of us crammed around our little dining table and finished everything except for one piece of pie, which is in my lunchbox at work today!

P.S. This is my 500th post!

No comments:

Post a Comment