Thursday, February 23, 2012

thoughts on lent


I read once
that fortune favors the brave,
and I was brave. Love
did not come to me.
Then I heard that courage comes
from the quiet within,
so I stayed very quiet,
but fear crept into my thoughts.
And some have told me
"be still
and you will hear the voice of God"
so I was very still.
For many months, I waited for
a whisper, or a shout.
For anything.
I did not hear God.
But then, I saw a tree standing apart,
saw the wind that moved
and made it softly dance.
I thought, I must be still
just like the trees,
and let something better than my own small soul
move me.

We have not loved you with our whole heart. We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. In your mercy forgive what we have been, help us to amend what we are, and direct what we shall be; that we may do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with you, our God. Amen
-The Common Book of Prayer

Portrait - Klimt

No comments:

Post a Comment