Monday, September 12, 2011

knit a string of pennants


I mentioned a few posts ago that I had made newspaper pennants for my walls. But I also have a pile of yarn odds and ends in my closet in bright colors, and I finally figured out an easy, darling project for them: knitted flags. I strung them on my bookcase for a festive flair, and because books need accessories too. It took me less than an hour to knit a string of 10, but depending on the weight of yarn you use, or how long you make your string, and the size of your flags it may take you longer to finish. This is the perfect thing if you are knitting while watching a movie.

You need: light to medium weight yarn odds and ends, the more colors the better, 1 pair of knitting needles (size 8 or 10), scissors.
For a miniature string of flags:
  • Cast on 10-12 stitches (10 for heavier yarn, 12 for lighter weight)
  • Knit 3 rows
  • Begin decreasing stitches. Decrease 2 stitches for the 4th row, knit one row, decrease 1 stitch for the 6th row, knit one row, repeat. You should end with 1 stitch left at the tip of your triangle. Cut the yarn and double not. Repeat!
  • You are essentially knitting triangles - you can vary the decreases and make them as long or as short as you want.
  • Thread a yarn needle with a long piece of yarn and string all of the flags together.
You can experiment with weights - I think probably cotton yarn on size 8 needles will make the flattest, neatest flags. Experiment also with mixed sizes (cast on 30 stitches and you can make them large and knit letters or patterns into them). String them in your doorways, give them as gifts, use them as Christmas tree ornaments or stitch a string of small flags to the collar of a cardigan for flair. I think I'm going to make some medium-sized ones with stripes, next!

No comments:

Post a Comment