Wednesday, August 10, 2011

august





I'm perched on a stool at the island in my mother's kitchen, listening to Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald, wearing grey cotton stockings and a coral wrap dress that I just thrifted the other day along with a Free People floral sundress, together for $5. The sun finally came out after a foggy morning but it isn't warm, and my mother, father, brother (back from Iowa) and I spent the day getting salads from Trader Joes, ice cream from The Penny Ice Creamery (mint chip for me), and new tires on Jacob's new Volkswagon. I've put a pause on most creative projects this summer, except for a myriad of fabric scrap, bead and button headbands and a few sketches, and I am looking forward to re-discovering photography and sewing projects this fall.

August has brought blackberries and more sunshine (although the creek is still frigid) and the garden is full to the brim with zinnias gone wild, tomatoes, apples, squash and zucchini. I experimented with photographing my shadow, the top is my favorite of the results.

I confess
I love that
which caresses me.

I believe

love has its share
in the sun's
brilliance
and virtue.

-SAPPHO

No comments:

Post a Comment