Monday, May 30, 2011

my shelves are spic 'n span


In a wild effort to clean out my closet (yes, again) and shelves and get rid of my old armoire to free up room space, I have gone through many books and papers and old schoolwork in the last few days. It is so interesting to read things that, a few years ago, I thought were just the pinnacle of writing excellence and which I now am highly critical of. My room feels extremely and luxuriously spacious now, and I have a whole new window that was previously hidden by said armoire. I am going to sew curtains and upholster my little stool. Here are some tidbits from three of the books I have pulled at random off of the tidy shelf above me.

"Pooh . . . found a small tin of condensed milk, and something seemed to tell him that Tiggers didn't like this, so he took it into a corner by itself, and went with it to see that nobody interrupted it." -A.A. Milne The House at Pooh Corner

"The men of the upper classes are not only exempt, but by prescriptive custom they are debarred, from all industrial occupations. The range of employments open to them is rigidly defined. As on the higher plane already spoken of, these employments are government, warfare, religious observances, and sports." -Thorstein Veblen Conspicuous Consumption: Unproductive Consumption Of Goods is Honourable
Conspicuous Consumption, by the way, is a little book worth reading both for the delight of its syntax and the contents themselves. You'll find yourself bristling in disagreement and alternatively cheering with Veblen's statements regarding the "Leisure Class" throughout.

"I have had quite enough humiliation lately, to bring me to the point at which humiliation ceases to humiliate. You get to the point at which you cease to feel and then you speak your mind." Edward. -T.S. Eliot The Cocktail Party

No comments:

Post a Comment