Tuesday, December 7, 2010

snow and ice


Well, folks, it was 8 degrees this morning and rose to a fiery high of 14 this afternoon despite the bright sunshine. Yes, it's true: Winter has come to Wheaton. One would think that this turn of weather would put me in a Christmassy mood, considering I am very fond of this holiday and everything about it, and usually feel very Christmassy indeed. Au contraire: I actually am feeling less Christmas-like with the snow! I am not sure why . .. perhaps it is my complete inability to stand upright for more than five minutes or to get through the day without having gone out the door not wearing enough clothing at least once. Or perhaps it is the fact that despite the cheery lights and little tree in our room I cannot escape the looming feeling that I am inside of a dorm building. I don't mind, you understand, because I do love where I am and my classes and friends are fantastic, in addition to life just being incredibly funny on a day to day basis, but I am so looking forward to coming home for Christmas. Home to what is familiar, what is tradition (white or no), what Christmas has been for me every year of my life. In the meantime, I have wrapped presents and listened to carols and jingled the incredibly annoying bells I bought for $1 and thoroughly enjoyed expecting home.

There is blue salt all over the walkways, and large crusts of ice around the curbs and hanging over the benches. I am continually dressing slightly too cold for the weather because I look out my window and it just looks so friendly out. There is really no potential for accurately gaging the weather from inside a dorm building. And so, day after day, I walk through the double set of double doors and brace myself. It's going to be a long walk to Literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment