Sunday, December 12, 2010

baby, it's cold outside


Finals are this week, and I am sitting by my window on a snowy Sunday in long johns, a Norwegian sweater and Ugg boots listening to Mannheim Steamroller and finishing wrapping Christmas presents. Coffee in the cup beside me, Christmas Break highlighted in pink on my calendar, and only a few days separating me from home! In addition to French, Classical British Literature, Bible and Theology and Sculpture this semester I am learning patience, strength, and righteousness from God. I am learning how to wait on the Lord, how to rest completely in the Lord, and how to give up control. Most especially, I am learning what it is to love one another unconditionally - a lesson I think I will be learning all of my life.

I am also knitting cranberry-red mittens for my room mate's chilly wee hands. One is finished and I am loathe to start the other, but just one mitten is not a very nice Christmas gift. Or a particularly warm one. Today has been a good day. I slept in and then bundled up for church (St. John's) with my suite-mate Amanda. It was a cold walk to downtown Wheaton, and I fell hard coming out of church, but then we went to Egg'lectic cafe for lunch and it was just so cosy and nice as the snow swirled outside and coffee and blintzes and frittata filled our stomachs.

Now the wind is howling outside my window and it isn't snowing anymore, and I have a Young Life Christmas dinner in an hour to strategize dressing for. It has to be cute+not overly casual+warm+comfortable+able to be un-layered if it is really warm inside+fit under a coat+ match hat scarf and mittens. The challenges that true winter poses!

No comments:

Post a Comment