Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July La la la!











This morning I slept in until 8:45 (gasp!) and then got ready for church in Manhattan. Vintage blue dress with red and white decals on hem, Tommy Hilfiger belt, silver sandals and silver jewelry. Church was good, I liked that they sang all old hymns with just an organ for accompaniment, and the sermon was a good one about the Holy Spirit.

After church, the Cookes dropped me off in front of the Met for a day of gallavanting by myself in the city! Wandered the Met for 2ish hours looking for the American Woman exhibit, got lost about twenty times (but saw lovely art along the way) almost gave up and left, but finally found the exhibit and it was lovely. But explain this to me: some of the elevators at the Met go to all floors, some only to 1, 4,5. What? What happened there? "Well, George, the Modern Art gallery is only accessible by stairs because we forgot to put in the door hole for the elevator."
Anyway, I found the exhibit and it was beautiful. It described and then showed the women that shaped the true American Woman: The 1890 Heiress, the 1890 Gibson Girl, the 1900 Bohemian, the 1920 Flapper, and then 1940 Film Goddess. The mannequins all wore original designer outfits that were AMAZING and had wigs styled by Julian D'y (how do you pronounce that?) that were incredible. I loved it, and well worth the frantic wandering. I did commit a museum faux-pas in the Modern Art gallery by stepping over an alarm-tripped tape line on the floor surrounding a peice of modern art that was . . . a bench! I had just thought it was a bench! Good thing I didn't sit on it, the guard person was very disapproving.

I didn't have the energy to make it to SoHo for lunch, so I stopped at Sarabeth's and had cheese blintzes with sour cream and apple butter outside for lunch and people spotted with a view of The Plaza. Caught the subway at Columbus Circle down to SoHo (it's the blue 4,5,6 train down Park Ave, the A,C, E green line down 6th) and ran around the little boutiques, finally buying myself a darling romper at Anthropologie with my graduation gift card and found a wedding present for Gretchen and Tom. Exhausted (keep in mind that it was 97 F all day) and hot, I called a cab to take from SoHo to Columbus Circle, got on the subway back to Port Authority where I took the bus home to Hoboken. I only had twenties, so I gave the taxi driver a 100% tip because I didn't really want to bother asking for change. Besides, it was last weeks spending money.
Went with the kids and their parents to see the fireworks over the river at 9:05 ish, they started at 9:20 just as we sat down on the grass. A British man and two British youths my age-ish came along with, I think Cregan and Mindy know them from church but while we chatted happily we were never really introduced. The fireworks were AMAZING, like nothing I have ever seen before. A full half hour with all of NYC watching (half of the city had trekked across the Hudson to Hoboken to watch from here) and it was a fantastic show. Sorry, Scotts Valley, your patriotism and pyrotechnics are not up to par.
Good day, tired feet, here are pictures of the Met, Soho, and my romper. Love you and good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment