Friday, March 1, 2013

recipe update

Happy March! This is a good month because it is my birthday, and my brother's birthday, and spring break all together. I thought I would finally get around to posting this scone recipe that I have made four-or five times this February (I actually think it is the only thing I have baked all semester). I used my go-to basic scone formula with a twist to have . . .

Torunn's Apple Pie Scones

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamon
1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup milk (I use almond milk)
1 egg

1 green apple (this is the March-y part)


Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix the dry ingredients, mix in the butter, add wet ingredients and fold over until it all comes together. Peel and chop the apple into 1/2-inch pieces, mix into dough. I usually make these about 2-3 inch drop scones (makes 8) but they are also good in a round so you can slice them into triangles. Sprinkle tops generally with cinnamon and sugar, bake for 12-14 minutes or until the bottoms are golden.

Serve with ice cream and apple sauce for dessert, but good luck getting them anywhere except for directly from the cookie tray to your mouth.

I almost never say this, but these are good with whole wheat flour, or 1/2 flour 1/2 oats too.

On one other note, it has been snowing for a week now. Highlight of my morning: my french professor breezed out the doors where I work, stopped still and gasped at the snow and cold "Ooooh la la la."

No comments:

Post a Comment