Monday, February 11, 2013

theological hour

Stefan Kanchev, New Year 1989

I love the colors and white cut-out detail in this stamp print from Bulgaria. 

Here is what I am thinking about today:

1. The Lord's Prayer is really the best one - which makes sense, as it was given to us as such. Most Sundays when the congregation kneels collectively to say the Lord's Prayer I have the urge to say it in French. I learned it by heart my freshman year at Wheaton and it is really beautiful.

2. I am reading Jack Kerouac's On The Road, which friends and reviews have told me makes one wish to leap up and trek across America. All the drugs and public urination and sleeping sitting up do not make me wish to do anything of the kind. Maybe it is just that time in the semester, but I am beginning to wonder in my Modernisms class whether some content is truly not worth reading, great literature or no. Richard Wright's Uncle Tom's Children I truly regretted reading, it was so visually disturbing in its violence. 

3. Winter is usually a metaphor for age, and for exhaustion, but it seems to me that youth thrive in the cold and the gray. Everyone seems to be running around, bright eyed, trying new things and being generally enthusiastic. Not normal for February.

4. "It is not simply that God has arbitrarily made us such that He is our only good. Rather God is the only good of all creatures... but that there ever could be any other good, is an atheistic dream... If we will not learn to eat the only food that the universe grows - the only food that any possible universe ever can grow - then we must starve eternally. "(pp. 41-42) C.S. Lewis The Problem of Pain

No comments:

Post a Comment