Tuesday, May 1, 2012

joyeux may day!

Please feel free to read two meanings into "May Day," as I am currently stressing a bit. Although the lilacs are blooming all over campus and everything smells sweet and damp and green. And I did finish the crazy lit final!

When I was little either I and my sister or a friend would make May Day flower baskets out of construction paper and wildflowers. I had forgotten about that until this morning, when before our final in the Library our professor mentioned "Happy May Day! I hope that you spent the morning picking flowers and bedecking yourselves and frolicking and making out." We had probably all spent the morning panicked and studious over coffee, but it was a nice sentiment.

But this May Day poem for you reminds me of Spring and joy, so there is a little lightheartedness for everyone. There is warmth and water and flowers and love galore, and it is so sweet and serene!


Sleep in The Arms of God, Dr. Anthony Theodore

On the banks of Ganges
I sat in a serene and sombre mood
Looking at the playful water
as the wind like a great artist
Draws playful lines and circles
On the water.

The wind
Tickles the water
And it laughs although I can’t hear.
When the water laughs
And jumps, it moves
In lines and circles
And then rushes swift to the shore.

I sit there at the shore
With my feet in the water
And watch the lines and circles
Reach and kiss my feet
In reverent love.

The wind is playful today
And comes to my lips
With a cold feathery touch
And caresses my hair and I feel alive.
It tells me about the sweet words
Uttered by lovers on the shore
Sharing their intimate feelings.

Tonight I shall dream
Of the symphony of the dancers
And as in a fairy tale
The lovers will come on this shore,
Kiss a thousand kisses
Tell love stories,
Smile and lie on the lap of each other.

I wish you, lovers of this shore
Bliss, serenity and peace.
Sleep here lovingly
The night through.
Let the glorious moon
Pour it’s mild heavenly light on you.

Sleep together lovingly in the arms of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment