Tuesday, April 3, 2012

pensées

Around April I start losing my self-control in daydreaming about summer time - so here I go with wild abandon. I want to go to the beach and nap in the sand and buy ice cream and have it melt all over and need to lick it so fast and have the tops of my feet and my nose lightly sunburnt and wear sandals every day and have sand in my hair (which will be lightly blonder because of all of that crazy sunshine) and ride my bike in the heat and go to the pool and sleep on my porch and drink iced tea and read magazines and nap in the hammock and wear little sundresses and eat stone fruit from the farmer's market. I want to be myself in this photo (far right) just completely blissed out on vitamin D.

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Alright, alright, but this is Holy Week and it is almost Easter (I am off to Cincinatti with my sweet girl friends for an Easter weekend away) so here is another lovely poem to think about.

An Undeserved Sweetnes, Ben Okri


After the wind lifts the beggar
From his bed of trash
And blows to the empty pubs
At the road's end
There exists only the silence
Of the world before dawn
And the solitude of trees.

Handel on the set mysteriously
Recalls to me the long
Hot nights of childhood spent
In malarial slums
In the midst of potent shrines
At the edge of great seas.

Dreams of the past sing
With voices of the future.

And now the world is assaulted
With a sweetness it doesn't deserve
Flowers sing with the voices of absent bees
The air swells with the vibrant
Solitude of trees who nightly
Whisper of re-invading the world.

But the night bends the trees
Into my dreams
And the stars fall with their fruits
Into my lonely world-burnt hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment