Sunday, January 15, 2012

little dressing table . . .lists





I was reviewing some old writing exercises from a creative writing class, and found a "list" assignment. I had made a list of everything I had ever lost (that I could recall) and formatted it into a sort of essay/poem. And there is the list of things found in the swamped house in Huckleberry Finn that I am reading for Realism-Modernism literature. It is interesting what can be learned about people from simple lists of things.

So, in honor of lists:

ON MY DESK RIGHT NOW (make of it what you will): One photograph of different kinds of tomatoes, a stolen mug full of pencils, paintbrushes and scissors, two bottles of lotion, a photo of me with mother and sister, a box with a LONDON stamp sticker on it full of CDs, stamps and a few postcards, my wallet, a Canon PowerShot camera, sticky notes with quotes and verses on them, a printed scarf as a desk cover, the Anthropologie catalogue and TIME magazine, a letter from my mother, a journal, two bottles of perfume, a metal postman's service bell, a red leather jewelry box and black Dior makeup bag, a glass teacup full of buttons and thread, T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, a canvas pen holder/ journal cover, a cloth sunglass case with aviator's in it, a bottle of Ear Care earring solution, and Dolly Parton's White Limozeen cassette tape cover.

What does it say about me? What does your desk list say about you?
photos by Torunn Sweers

No comments:

Post a Comment