Saturday, February 5, 2011

this is my father's world

I woke up this morning (this afternoon, really) thinking it was Sunday, and had to go through a very syllogistic approach in order to determine that it was, in fact, Saturday. (Yesterday was Friday, Tomorrow there is no class, Therefore: Today is Saturday). Then I got up and went to eat breakfast/lunch. I have discovered that by taking two grapefruit halves and squeezing them into my cup, I can have fresh-squeezed juice every day! It is a relief to eat or drink something which has origins I feel 100% sure of. I slipped hard yesterday walking down the snow-packed hill from my dorm to the main campus, flat on my back, much to the pitying entertainment of the people walking behind me. I took the time while I was on the ground to look at the bottom of my boots. You see, I have been slipping all the time lately, while still insisting to my friends that my shoes have great traction. Well, the industrial men's size 4 rainboots from the hardware store DO have good traction, but the fact that I have worn them almost every day for the past several months has rendered said traction obsolete. The bottoms are as slick and shiny as jazz shoes. Still, they are better than my brown leather boots, which have holes in the soles, and I try to alternate them with my little plaid snowboots.

The sun is shining in the blue sky today, as it has for the past few days, which lifts my mood immensely. When you can see yellow and gold and blue reflected through the trees and onto the snow and off in the horizon it is hard to stay sulky for long.

Academic report: In Brit Lit with Dr. Ryken we are reading and explicating Milton's Paradise Lost, in Creative Writing with Dr. Frost we are learning about word choice in poetry, in Old Testament we have just hit critical literature of the OT and in French my vocabulary list includes words for "slum," the verb "to set on fire," and "scrap metal collector." All extremely useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment